venerdì 1 aprile 2011

Morphine «Good» [1992]



Mark Sandman's trio started its post-blues experiment back in the early 90s with a minimal, quite unusual line-up (custom 2-string slide bass, saxophone and drums) and kinda strange lyrics. Take for instance, the words of «you speak my language»:

Everywhere I go no one understands me / They look at me when I talk to them
And they scratch their head / They go, "What's he trying to say?"

But you… you speak my language / But you… you speak my language / Yes!

Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda Kumahn Brendhaa! / Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda Kumahn Brendhaa! / Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda! / Kabrula kaysay Brula Amal amala senda! / Kumahn Brendhaa! / Kumahn Brendhaa! / Brendhaaaaaaaaa! / Yeah!


...Aint' t that just brilliant?

What we're dealing with here is classic blues themes (love, gambling, death), treated with style and irony. The music sounds just as good: after the first two slow, jazzy numbers, a whirling groove kicks in, keepin' you high throughout the entire album. And then -believe me- you'll just want to play it all over again. Morphine's LP debut is sweet and dizzy, just like the scent of burning opium.

Less is more, and feels - - - - > Good

1 commento:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...